Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tacos For People Who Don't Like Tacos

My family and I don't eat Mexican food. None of us like the taste of chili powder (or anything else chili-flavored), and I detest the taste of peppers (sweet, bell, jalapeño, makes no difference). Also, none of us are huge fans of beans (I can stand them, nobody else will touch them). I'm no devotee of Mexican food, of course - I only know what I see on TV and on commercials for Taco Bell and Old El Paso. But as far as common Mexican foods go, it seems that beans, chili powder, and peppers tend to be key ingredients.
Still, my wife and I hypothesized that we might be able to make tacos even with these limitations. Getting creative in the kitchen can be a big part of the fun of cooking, and this seemed like it was worth a try. Why should we be left out of this whole type of cuisine just because we, you know, don't like most of the major ingredients? Now, mind you, I'm not necessarily suggesting that anyone else should try or would be happy with this recipe. It's just an example of what you can do when you free your mind and are willing to experiment with food.

Mike's Italian "Tacos"
Serves 4

1 Package hard taco shells
1 lb ground beef
1-1.5 cup tomato sauce (marinara, or whatever store-bought stuff you've got lying around)
2-3 tbsp diced onions
~1 cup shredded cheese (chedder or a blend of cheeses)

Seasonings (all to taste)
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Warm the sauce in a small pan or microwave and bake the taco shells according to the package directions. In a medium fry-pan, combine the onions and ground beef and season to taste with the seasonings suggested. Feel free to improvise. Sauté over medium heat until the beef is brown and the onions are soft. Drain the grease. Add the tomato sauce and mix together thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the taco shells and top with the shredded cheese. Molto Bene! Tacos al Miguel!

No comments:

Post a Comment