Monday, August 10, 2009

The Sci-fi short story "If the One Doesn't Get You" published here for your amusement

This morning, my work of original fiction "If the One Doesn't Get You" was published here on this blog for your perusal. It's free - read it, share it, keep it, etc. My only caveats are:
  • Keep it intact - don't change it or distribute it without my name attached.
  • Don't charge anybody for it, naturally. If you want to distribute it commercially, I'm sure we can work something out.
  • Send people here - you're welcome to share the story however you'd like, but sending folks to this blog gives them a chance to see the other things I've written and to get any future publications I might post. By all means, send them in this direction if they're interested in my writing.
  • Comment freely - one of the nice things about Blogger is that it's very easy for readers to leave comments about a post. You're seeing this story damn near to it's first-draft state (though I revise as I write, so no finished work of mine is ever really first-draft). You'll get to see how I write and revise my work and I'd like to hear your thoughts about what you like and don't like. I won't agree with or use everybody's suggestions, regardless of how earnest or cogent they may be, but I'll read them all. If you read the story, please post a comment, even if it's short.
Mike De Lucia
August 10th, 2009

5 comments:

  1. Neat. Did I miss where it's "patches" come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird. I have no clue why I am "PrettyMuchAnythingIwant" on Blogger. I do not remember creating that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey "PrettyMuch..." Yeah, you missed that it gets its patches, mission specifications, target parameters, etc. from a central mainframe NARCOM@CMOC (NARC Command at Cheyenne Mtn Operations Center). But I suspected that might be a little vague when I wrote it (the meaning of the acronym certainly would have required some guesswork, but the mere fact that a master computer is sending down info isn't as clear as I wanted). I'm going to be rethinking various aspects of how I communicate to the reader what the "unit" protagonist knows while still maintaining the slow revelation that something has gone terribly wrong with its mission. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete