Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Transition Time!

It's the end of the school year - the kids have four half-days this week (actually, one of them's like a quarter-day), so we're working on how to transition them from school to home. It also means transitioning me from writing full-time to writing just a few hours a day. On top of that, we're currently training in karate at TWO different dojos, both of which are fully or partially closed next week. So, we're training every night this week in preparation.

All of that adds up to mucho craziness. I'm experimenting with an "extended quiet-time" format for the kids, where each afternoon they get several hours of time where they can, for up to an hour each, watch TV/movies, play the computer or Wii, and then spend the remaining hour (or more) playing games, doing crafts, reading, or any other non-multimedia activities. During this period, I spend the time writing. So far so good, but it may need tweaking. The cardinal rule of this Quiet Time is the "quiet" part - there's an absolute zero-tolerance policy for arguing, fighting, yelling, and other non-quiet activities that require my intervention. Today, there will be no TV or Computer during Quiet Time because of excessive arguing yesterday. The training continues.

The result of all this is that I'm utterly worn out at the moment. Last night's karate class contributed to that, I confess. It was a really hard workout and I did something excruciatingly painful to my left tricep. It felt better by the time I got home, but oh boy did it hurt when I did it. I know, whinge, whinge. (I only recently discovered that that was a real word. In fact, I used to correct one of my fellow World of Warcraft players whenever she used it. Poor Gormie.)

All of this adds up to one thing: I don't know what my update schedule will be like this week. I feel bad, because a lot of people read my Knight & Day review and if they're inclined to stick around, I'd really like to provide some fresh content for them, but this is all I can manage for today. Hopefully I'll produce something more spectacular for Thursday. In the meantime, why not check out some of my older articles? Many, many of them are not especially time-dependent and a few of them are actually pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment